Man Killed While Smoking on Home Oxygen Identified - NECN

Man Killed While Smoking on Home Oxygen Identified

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Man Dies in Andover, Mass. Apartment Fire

    A man died in an apartment fire on Thursday morning in Andover, Massachusetts, according to the Essex District Attorney's office.

    (Published Thursday, March 8, 2018)

    A man died in an apartment fire on Thursday morning in Andover, Massachusetts, according to Andover Fire Rescue.

    The man was identified as Nicholas Rizzo II, 85, a resident at Andover Commons, an elderly housing complex.

    Fire officials said the cause of the fire was smoking while on home oxygen.

    At 11:05 a.m. Andover Fire responded to a fire at Andover Commons, a four-story building with 167 units on 30 Railroad Avenue.

    Officer Shoots Through His Own Windshield During Car Chase

    [NATL] Las Vegas Officer Shoots Through His Own Windshield During Car Chase

    Body cam footage released by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department shows an intense pursuit seen from the front seat of a patrol car. Officer William Umana was trying to stop a pair of suspected killers who had fired at police 34 times. One is seen on camera shooting back while driving, blowing holes in his own windshield.

    (Published 3 hours ago)

    Upon arrival, Andover firefighters were met with smoke coming from a fourth-floor apartment. A second alarm was ordered and the Lawrence, Methuen, Tewksbury, Wilmington, North Reading, and North Andover fire departments responded.

    Residents from throughout the complex were moved from their apartments to common areas within the building while crews fought the fire.

    The 85-year old man was located by fire crews in his apartment. Firefighters performed emergency life-saving measures and he was transported to Lawrence General Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. No other injuries were reported.

    "Fire is a tragic way for a long life to come to an end," said State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey.

    Ostroskey cautioned against smoking while in the presence of medical oxygen. "There is no safe way to smoke inside a house where medical oxygen is in use," he said.

    Massachusetts has an average of five to six fires each year involving medical oxygen, said Ostroskey.

    DC in '69: Snapshot From Washington's Last MLB All-Star Game

    [NATL-DC] DC in 1969: Snapshot From Washington's Last MLB All-Star Game

    In 1969 — before the Washington Nationals, Metro service and elected mayors — D.C. hosted the city's MLB All-Star Game. Take a look back ahead of D.C.'s next All-Star Game on July 17.

    (Published 3 hours ago)

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android