Cops: Man Stalked Teen, Hit Young Man With Car - NECN


The latest news from around the state

Cops: Man Stalked Teen, Hit Young Man With Car



    Cops: Man Stalked Teen, Hit Young Man With Car
    Naugatuck Police Department

    A 27-year-old man is facing charges after police say he stalked a 14-year-old outside a high school in Naugatuck and got into a fight with a group of teens who confronted him, threatening them with a baseball bat and hitting one of them with his car.

    Police said it started when Brendan Burns, 27, of Seymour, followed a 14-year-old girl and wouldn't leave her alone after school on Tuesday afternoon.

    She said Burns drove up to her while she was walking with a friend and asked if they needed a ride, police said.

    Just a little while later, when the teen was walking alone, Burns again approached her.

    He asked if she needed a ride, if she had boyfriend, if he could have her phone number and if she smoked, then turned his car around because he wanted to give her his phone number, police said.

    That's when the teen ran and alerted a group of people she knew playing basketball at Salem School that Burns was following her.

    The group then approached Burns and got into an argument with him in the parking lot of Hill Side School in Naugatuck, just above the Salem School, police said.

    Police said Burns threatened the group with a baseball bat, then got into his car and struck an 18-year-old as he sped away. The victim suffered minor injuries.

    After he drove off, Burns rear-ended another car at Meadow Street and Rubber Avenue and fled that scene too, according to police.

    Authorities tracked Burns to his home on Fawn Hollow Drive and took him into custody after a short chase through the woods near his home, according to police.

    Burns was charged with threatening, second-degree reckless endangerment, third-degree stalking, loitering on school grounds and two counts of breach of peace, in addition to motor vehicle charges in connection with the crash.

    He was released on a $25,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in Waterbury Superior Court on May 13.