Sunday's St. Patrick's Day Parade could be in jeopardy due to this week's snowstorm, Mayor Marty Walsh said Tuesday afternoon.
"As far as Sunday, we're looking ahead a little bit to the St. Patrick's Day Parade," Walsh said at a press conference to discuss snow updates. "No decision's been made yet, but it's going to be very difficult, I think, to have the route that goes winding through South Boston because of all the snow that we're gonna have.
"We're gonna make a determination a little later on what to do with Sunday - whether we have the parade or cancel the parade," he added. "We'll play it by ear and see as we go through the next few days to see how it goes, but we still have a lot of work to do as far as the removal of snow."
The St. Patrick's Day Parade is organized by the Allied War Veterans' Council of South Boston, and is listed as the second largest in the country, drawing between 600,000 and 1 million people each year.
It typically kicks off around 12:30 p.m. and runs about two hours. Last year, the parade route had to be shortened considerably due to another late season snowstorm.
Both the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and the annual St. Patrick's Day Breakfast on Sunday morning are scheduled to be televised on necn and livestreamed on necn.com.