Neighbors Help Family Who Lost Everything in Pre-Christmas Fire - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Neighbors Help Family Who Lost Everything in Pre-Christmas Fire

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Lakeville Community Lifts Up Family After Fire

    After a family in Lakeville, Massachusetts, lost everything in a fire just before Christmas, their community is rallying around them.

    (Published Tuesday, Dec. 26, 2017)

    A Massachusetts family is learning the meaning of the "season of giving" after losing its home in a 2-alarm fire only two days before Christmas.

    "We walked out with the clothes on our back," said Michael Wilson of Lakeville. "That was it."

    Wilson, his fiancé and their 9-year-old son lost everything in the fire that investigators say was sparked by an electrical issue.

    "We lost all the Christmas presents, every bit of furniture, all our clothes, everything. Everything," Wilson said.

    Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Lot Overnight

    [NATL] Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Wisconsin Lot Overnight

    A 4-year-old girl was left alone inside a minivan overnight in a Milwaukee tow lot, authorities said. An impaired driver was pulled over and arrested for operating while intoxicated. Officers removed a 10-month-old child from the vehicle but left the 4-year-old girl, who spent the night in the tow lot where temperatures dropped to 19 degrees.

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018)

    The Wilsons' neighbors across the street witnessed the fire and decided to reach out to the family.

    "We really wanted to try to think of any way we could to give back and help them," said MollyKate Rodenbush.

    Rodenbush's family is collecting clothing, toys, home goods and more. On Tuesday, several people dropped off donations.

    The Rodenbush family also started a GoFundMe page, raising more than $22,000 for the Wilsons as of Tuesday afternoon.

    "This community is really strong and always willing to come together in times of need," said Rodenbush. "It's a small town, but such a big heart."

    The Wilsons say a neighbor also saved their lives. While the family was sleeping, a Good Samaritan saw the fire and woke them up just in time.

    Professor Sues Over Transgender Pronoun Rebuke

    [NATL] Professor Sues Over Transgender Pronoun Rebuke

    A Shawnee State University professor is suing officials after receiving a written warning for violating its nondiscrimination policy by not addressing a transgender student using the gender terms preferred by the student. Nicholas Meriwether, a philosophy professor and evangelical Christian, filed a federal lawsuit this month against officials at the university in Portsmouth. 

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018)

    "When I looked out the bedroom window, he was right where my truck is and he was honking the horn," Wilson said. "Saved my family. There is no question about it."

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android