Whether you’re looking for peaceful relaxation, an outdoor adventure, or a food tour that you’ll remember long after you’ve cleaned your plate, Vermont has something for everyone!
Here are the Green Mountain State destinations necn visited during our vacation week:
- Spa at Stoweflake, Stowe: This family-owned resort spa offers more than 150 treatments from massages to facials to salon services, including an invigorating body treatment using organic coffee as a key ingredient! The exfoliating indulgence for your skin may have you looking at that morning cup of joe in a whole new way! Click here for more info.
- Red Barns at Kelly Way Gardens, Woodstock: The landmark Woodstock Inn & Resort has spent $16-million in upgrades over the past five years, including on improving guest rooms and other facilities. One of the additions is the Red Barns at Kelly Way Gardens, which aim to educate visitors about what goes into growing and preparing the food that’s served at the inn. The barns house space for classes and demonstrations, as well as a kitchen where guests can watch the chef prepare meals using ingredients harvested just minutes beforehand. A full schedule of offerings is available here.
- Community Sailing Center, Burlington: Lake Champlain offers more than just breathtaking views—it is a playground for outdoor enthusiasts! This non-profit on the Burlington waterfront aims to increase access to the lake, offering lessons and rentals of sailboats and paddle craft—including kayaks and stand-up paddleboards. And it keeps its prices low, to encourage exploration. Additional details here.
- ArtsRiot Truck Stop, Burlington: The artsy South End of Burlington is a hotspot on Friday nights through September, when 16 or more food trucks set up shop just off Pine Street—serving up a wide variety of appetizers and main dishes, many using fresh Vermont produce and meats whenever possible. Bring both your appetite and friends to share food with! Live bands and a dj also provide the soundtrack to the evening. For more, click here.
- Beer Naked Brewery, Marlboro: This is the destination for curious beer drinkers looking for a brew with a view. Sitting on Hogback Mountain, visitors can see 100 miles toward four states. And this spot is just one of the more than 55 craft breweries in Vermont that have made the state one of the world’s most highly-regarded destinations for beer tourism. The Vermont Brewers Association even has a new app to help you explore those craft businesses. Click here to start planning your trip.
- Cook Academy, Essex: Love watching TV cooking shows, but crave personalized in-person instruction? Daily classes at The Essex Resort & Spa, which calls itself “Vermont’s culinary resort,” are aimed at helping you improve your kitchen skills. Chefs will walk you through the creation of a three-course meal in sessions that are intimate and customizable, so everyone gets hands-on attention. And the best part is, you get to eat the results! More info here.
- Champlain Valley Dinner Train, Burlington: A new offering in 2018, this is a meal to remember! The vintage train cars head from Burlington’s Union Station to Middlebury and back on Friday and Saturday nights through September 1. And there are no prepackaged meals on this ride—each dinner is prepared fresh in the kitchen car, which Green Mountain Railroad Passenger Services purchased from a now-closed circus! Hop aboard, starting at this site.
- Pine Hill Park, Rutland: Whether you’re looking for mountain biking, trail running, or walking opportunities, this gem of a park not far from downtown Rutland is definitely worth a visit. Volunteers maintain the trails, and take great pride in making them impressive to visitors from all over. With 16 miles of trails to explore, and a variety of scenic views, don’t forget to grab a free trail map before you set out! Start exploring here.
- Mount Snow, West Dover: Think ski resorts are just for winter visits? Think again! This southern Vermont destination offers scenic summer rides on one of its chairlifts, and another is used to serve a network of mountain biking trails. A tavern serving food and craft beer from across New England is waiting at the summit. Check it out here.
- Basin Harbor Club, Vergennes: For well over a century, this 700-acre destination has been welcoming families to relax on the shores of Lake Champlain. There are a host of activities including golf, lake cruises, and tennis, but lounging lakeside with a good book in an Adirondack chair wouldn’t be a bad way to spend an afternoon, either! Recent resort upgrades include improvements to the waterfront and golf course. Learn more by clicking here.
- Bike Path, Burlington: One of the city’s most popular public amenities among bicyclists, runners, and walkers, the recreation path along Lake Champlain has recently seen considerable improvements—including a widening of the path and the addition of “pause places” where users can work out. The bike path connects with a network of paths serving other communities, to help lengthen your exploration. A dog park and skate park sit alongside the bike path on the Burlington waterfront, too, so the whole family can have fun at once! Plan your visit here.
- Dead Creek Wildlife Area, Addison: Vermont has more than 80 wildlife management areas, and the crown jewel—when it comes to bird-watching—is this destination in Addison County. With more than 200 species of birds to spot, including ducks, hawks, and great blue herons, your binoculars will be busy! A new wildlife education center also recently opened for visitors. Details are available here.
- Church Street Yoga, Burlington: Often a bustling place full of shoppers and diners, downtown Burlington’s famous Church Street Marketplace has a much more relaxed and quiet vibe Sunday mornings, when free yoga classes take place on the top block of the marketplace each Sunday starting at 9 a.m., through August 5. On August 12, hundreds of yoga practitioners turn out for the biggest event of the summer. Donations to area non-profits are encouraged at each class. Exhale, then click here to learn more.