Fire broke out a second-floor apartment above Trinity Bar in New Haven Friday and one person injured in the fire is in critical condition at the hospital, according to fire officials.
Officials received reports of people trapped inside the building just before 2 p.m. after seeing heavy smoke and fire coming from the building on Orange Street and found that the fire started in apartments above the restaurant.
One man who woke up and saw flames in his apartment went out a back window to the fire escape and onto the roof. He was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital, then to the burn unit in Bridgeport to be treated for burns covering 70 percent of his body.
John Brehon, an employee at the nearby The Devil's Gear Bike Shop, said he was one of the people who ran into the fire worried about the people who live in the second and third floors. Brehon said the owner of the bike shop also ran into the burning building and was hospitalized for smoke inhalation.
It took officials around 45 minutes to get the fire under control.
An employee of Trinity Bar said all the employees and customers made it out safely. Nearly a week after the fire, the bar owner said another Irish pub has offered work to some of Trinity's 22 employees.
Fire officials said a couple of dozen of bar employees are now out of a job.