Officials believe that a household pesticide from an aerosol can is what caused more than a dozen employees of a Williston recycling center to become sick and seek medical treatment.
Joe Fusco of Casella Waste Systems, which operates the center on behalf of the Chittenden Solid Waste District, says the employees reported symptoms Tuesday including vomiting, red and watery eyes, and respiratory distress.
The waste district's Tom Moreau says no one was seriously injured.
The district says there were 42 people in the building when the incident began. Of those, 21 were treated for exposure and about 15 chose to go to the hospital after decontamination.
The waste district says similar incidents can be prevented if containers of hazardous materials are kept out of the recycling system.