SWAT Team Responds to Conn. Home - NECN


The latest news from around the state

SWAT Team Responds to Conn. Home

Standoff Continues Through Night in Torrington

(Published Friday, July 24, 2015)

A standoff in Torrington that began at noon on Friday ended at 1:57 a.m. Saturday morning.

On Friday, Torrington Police officers responded to 210 Torringford Street to check on an emotionally disturbed person reported to have fired a gun. When they arrived, 60-year-old Timothy Ventry barricaded himself inside his home and refused to cooperate with the officers.

A standoff ensued, drawing a SWAT team and the Hartford Bomb Squad to the property and prompting police to block off the neighborhood. Many neighbors were unable to return to their homes, and those inside their homes were instructed to stay inside during the duration of the incident.

Negotiations with Ventry continued until the early morning hours when he finally exited the home and was taken into custody. He was brought to an area hospital for evaluation and subsequently released. Ventry was then taken into custody by Torrington police.

After obtaining a search warrant, police searched his home. They seized several guns, including ones that may have been used during the incident and fired at officers. 

Ventry is charged with first-degree criminal attempt to commit assault, first-degree criminal attempt to commit assault with a firearm, reckless endangerment, unlawful discharge of a firearm, first-degree threatening, and breach of peace.

Several other agencies aided Torrington in their response, including the Central Regional Emergency Response Team and the West Hartford Emergency Response Team.

Torrington police released this statement on Saturday morning.

"We are grateful for the peaceful resolution and thank the citizens of Torrington and those inconvenienced for their patience and cooperation during this ordeal. This incident is continuing to be investigated by city detectives and any further information will be released as it becomes available."

Police are holding Ventry in custody on a $2 milllion court-set bond.