The Red Cross of Massachusetts is assisting Merrimack Valley residents after a series of fires and explosions that authorities are blaming on a natural gas issue.
Residents were forced from their homes Thursday in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover.
- Andover Cormier Youth Center - 40 Whittier Ct. in Andover
- Parthum Elementary School - 255 East Haverhill St. in Lawrence
- Arlington Street School - 150 Arlington St. in Lawrence
- Field House at North Andover High School- 430 Osgood St. in North Andover
Lawrence officials announced that additional shelter is available at St. Mary's Church at 205 Hampshire St. and Central Catholic High School at 300 Hampshire St.
More than 100 people had checked into North Andover High School Thursday night. Cots were being brought out as many residents prepared to stay the night. A town official told NBC10 Boston that many people staying at the high school were transported from nearby senior centers.
North Andover police said for anyone who needs a place to go Thursday night with dogs, cats or any pet, they can go to the high school gymnasium.
"Our animal control officer is prepped with food, crates, bowls and blankets for your furry friends. We are here to help," police tweeted.
Red Cross officials are on scene at all four locations and are deploying volunteer workers and supplies to help the affected residents.
Authorities acknowledged this could turn into a long-term response with many homes destroyed.
Officials say they will need more supplies as they go, and the best way people can help is by donating at 1-800-RED-CROSS or at the website. Anyone who wishes to volunteer can also sign up at the website.