Police Sgt. Under Investigation Over 'Inappropriate' Selfie in Front of Crime Scene in Worcester - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Police Sgt. Under Investigation Over 'Inappropriate' Selfie in Front of Crime Scene in Worcester

An internal investigation has been launched after Rutland Police Sgt. Troy Chauvin posted a selfie in front of O'Connors Restaurant & Bar, where a woman was fatally stabbed

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Rutland Police Sergeant Under Fire for Selfie

    Rutland Police are investigating one of their own for posing outside of a restaurant where a woman was murdered.

    (Published Tuesday, July 9, 2019)

    A Massachusetts police sergeant who took a selfie in front a recent crime scene in Worcester is under investigation for the photo, which has upset the victim's family.

    The selfie, taken by Rutland Police Sgt. Troy Chauvin, was posted to his Facebook page without comment and shows him in front of O'Connors Restaurant & Bar. The restaurant is where 31-year-old Amanda Dabrowski was stabbed multiple times July 3, allegedly by a man she had dated.

    Dabrowski later died at an area hospital.

    Carlos Asencio, 28, of Derry, New Hampshire, was arrested by police in the parking lot of the restaurant and is being held without bail pending a mental health evaluation. He's pleaded not guilty to charges that include murder and assault.

    Suspect Held Without Bail in Deadly Restaurant Stabbing

    [NECN] Suspect Held Without Bail in Deadly Restaurant Stabbing

    A man stabbed his ex-girlfriend to death in O'Connor's Restaurant & Bar in Worcester, according to prosecutors.

    (Published Friday, July 5, 2019)

    Dabrowksi's relative, Erin Ethier, shared Chauvin's photo to Facebook with the comment, "Hey Rutland Police Department... isn't this your Sergeant posting inappropriate pictures on Facebook!"

    Chauvin has since deleted the original post, apologized and explained in another post that he is a huge fan of Irish bars and has his own in his basement, which he modeled after O'Connors.

    The Rutland town administrator said Police Chief Nicholas Monaco has now launched an internal investigation.

    "The Town was informed that Sergeant Chauvin did not intend to cause any harm with his post on his personal social media platform and has issued an apology both publicly and to the family as well," Town Administrator Michael Nicholson said.

    While Chauvin remains on active duty and has not been placed on leave during the investigation, community reaction is mixed.

    "I guess it was definitely unnecessary," said Aiden Wooldridge of Rutland. "It was kind of a touchy subject, I guess he shouldn't have done that. I mean you could have not posted the picture about it."

    Worcester Stabbing Suspect Had Fled to Mexico

    [NECN] Worcester Stabbing Suspect Had Fled to Mexico

    New details released by authorities show that Carlos Asencio, who is accused of stabbing and killing his former girlfriend at a Worcester restaurant, had previously fled to Mexico amidst an investigation into another attack on the victim.

    (Published Thursday, July 4, 2019)

    "He's a really good guy. I've known him for years, he's been on the force and I think it was just a case of bad timing," added Nat Stidsen, of Rutland. "I don’t think he meant to offend anyone, I don't think he was trying to reference the incident that happened there."

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android