Schools Closed In 2 New Hampshire Towns While Possible Threat Investigated - NECN
New Hampshire

New Hampshire

The latest news from around the state

Schools Closed In 2 New Hampshire Towns While Possible Threat Investigated



    Police Investigate School Threats in New Hampshire

    A school district in Weare, New Hampshire is closed for a second day in response to a threat made on Friday.

    (Published Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018)

    Public schools in two New Hampshire towns have been closed for the day while police investigate a possible threat against one of the schools.

    Six schools were closed Tuesday during the investigation. 

    The Weare school district says police in Weare and Henniker have been investigating a possible threat that was scratched into a table in the John Stark Regional High School in Weare. It was reported Friday.

    School officials say they found that message over the weekend, but that a great number of unsubstantiated rumors on social media are creating undue concern.

    Schools Take Precautions After Possible Threat

    [NECN] Schools Take Precautions After Possible Threat

    Schools in two New Hampshire communities closed on Tuesday following alleged threats.

    (Published Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018)

    On Monday, police and school officials said a rumor of a threat was reported from one of the school buses at the high school.

    The district, citing "heightened awareness" around last week's mass shooting at a Florida high school, said there would be no school Tuesday while the investigation is ongoing.

    Chief of police Sean Kelly said Tuesday that school had been cancelled "out of an abundance of caution."

    "This was more to put the community at ease rather than an acute threat to any person or group of people," said Kelly.

    In a joint statement released Tuesday, the Weare police department and John Stark school district asked the public to make sure rumors stopped spreading.

    "There is not hit list; there is no plan to target specific students; no weapon was brought to school or was found on a bus; and, no arrests were made [Monday] related to this investigation," said officials.

    Around 5 p.m. on Tuesday, 

    Weare Police said their investigation was complete. The rumor which originated on the bus was tracked to a Weare Middle School student. The graffiti in John Stark Regional the bathroom was tracked to a student at the high school.

    Police have filed a delinquency report with Goffstwon Family Court. School will resume on Wednesday, said officials.

    The district said that a "highly visible police presence would be in place" at the schools through Friday.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android