The Vermont Housing and Conservation Board is getting a $3.2 million federal grant to continue efforts to protect children from lead poisoning.
The money from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will be used to control lead paint hazards in the homes of low-income families and to raise awareness about the dangers of lead poisoning.
Program Director Ron Rupp says Vermont has some of the oldest housing in the United States and many of those homes contain lead paint.
Children are frequently harmed by ingesting lead, which used to be found in paint. Lead poisoning can cause permanent neurological and behavioral problems and lowering IQs.
Since 1994 the Vermont Lead Hazard Reduction Program has addressed lead hazards in approximately 2,400 homes and apartments across the state.