Student Arrested, Officer Injured During High School Lockdown in Melrose, Mass. - NECN


The latest news from around the state

Student Arrested, Officer Injured During High School Lockdown in Melrose, Mass.

One police officer was injured while apprehending the student



    Students Witness Violent Arrest

    A student was arrested and Melrose High School was put on lockdown in an incident that resulted in the injury of one police officer.

    (Published Friday, Oct. 6, 2017)

    One student was arrested Friday after an incident that caused Melrose High School in Massachusetts to go into lockdown. An officer was injured while apprehending the student, who police say did not cooperate with police instructions.

    Students said it was a stressful and frightening situation for them.

    "They said 'Get away from the windows' and that's when everyone started to freak out and get up and start running," said student Kelsey Contreras.

    A student was detained by police during the lockdown, and that student injured an officer in the process.

    Around 9:30 a.m. administrators at Melrose High School were informed by a parent that a male student may have a gun in the building.

    "It was kind of scary and everyone started to have panic attacks," said Contreras.

    Melrose High School immediately went into a lockdown and the Melrose Veterans Memorial Middle School went into a 'shelter in place.' The Melrose Police Department was immediately notified. The MHS Resource Officer, along with school administrators, went to the classroom of the student in question and took him into custody, confiscating his backpack in the process.

    "You can't throw around the term gun you have to respond you cannot debate it," said Superintendent Cyndy Taymore.

    Upon a search of the student, he had no weapons on his person or in his backpack.

    "At no time was the students safety being compromised," said Police Chief Michael Lyle.

    When confronted, the student would not listen to the instructions of police and left the building. He was then detained by police outside the high school. During that altercation, a police officer was injured. The police officer was taken to Melrose Wakefield Hospital with leg injuries that are not believed to be life threatening.

    "The kids get upset and we understand why they get upset but we'd rather go through the stress than take a chance in any given day," said superintendent Taymore.

    The lockdown and shelter in place were lifted at approximately 9:45 a.m. and classes resumed as normal.

    "My first response is nervousness but honestly I trust these guys. The school did a great job responding," said mother Andrea Maguire.

    Superintendent Taymore and Chief Lyle stressed that at no time was anyone in the schools or community in any danger and that there was never a weapon in the building.

    According to officials at Melrose High school, the student cannot be expelled according to Massachusetts law. The schools are responsible for providing an education for the students, so the administration will discuss on Monday how they will proceed with the student for the rest of the year.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android