Vermont Home a Total Loss After Fire Sparked From Wood Stove - NECN
Vermont

Vermont

The latest news from around the state

Vermont Home a Total Loss After Fire Sparked From Wood Stove

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Vermont Home a Total Loss After Fire Sparked From Wood Stove
    Vermont State Police

    A home in Vermont was destroyed when a fire that started in the basement spread to the rest of the wooden frame structure early Saturday morning.

    No one was hurt in the blaze but the home, at 48 Pond St. in Newport, is considered a total loss.

    The fire originated in the basement, officials say, just above where a wood stove had been burning. The home's owner had stoked the wood stove around 3 a.m., officials say, and began to smell smoke around 4:30 a.m.

    Sometime between 5:15 a.m. and 5:30 a.m., the homeowner discovered the fire in the basement and attempted to extinguish it with a garden hose, according to officials.

    Do Not Eat Any Romaine Lettuce: Health Officials

    [NATL] Do Not Eat Any Romaine Lettuce: Health Officials

    Health officials in the U.S. and Canada are urging people to stay away from all romaine lettuce and products after 32 people in 11 states were sickened by an E. coli outbreak.

    (Published 2 hours ago)

    The homeowner called the Newport City Fire Department just prior to 6 a.m. When firefighters arrived on scene, they discovered the flames had spread to all floors of the home.

    The fire is believed to be accidental.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android