The woman who was kidnapped during a shooting rampage in northern Maine last week said she blames Maine State Police for the death of her boyfriend.
Brittany Irish held a press conference on Wednesday, saying she blames state police for the death of her child's father and everything that happened last week. She said she asked state police to keep an officer at her home after she was kidnapped and sexually assaulted by 35-year-old Anthony Lord three days earlier. But she was told there wasn't enough manpower.
"They definitely need to step up their game," Irish, 21, said. "I don't think they did enough to keep any of this from happening."
Irish said by speaking out she hopes that "Maine State Police are held accountable for a young man dying."
Col. Robert Williams, chief of the Maine State Police, issued a statement Wednesday afternoon saying that state police express sympathy and condolences to everyone affected by the shootings.
"In the aftermath of any major incidents, State Police typically conduct a review of our response and we will do so in this case," Williams said. "This is a double homicide prosecution now in the court system. As with any active homicide investigation, it would not be appropriate to discuss additional details at this time."
Irish's boyfriend, 22-year-old Kyle Hewitt, was one of two people killed by Lord during a series of shootings rampage in several Maine communities on Friday. Three others were also shot but are expected to survive.
Irish's parents told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the shootings happened because Lord was furious at their daughter for going to police after he sexually assaulted her. They said Lord had become obsessed with their daughter.
Lord appeared in court Monday and was ordered held on $100,000 bail. He is expected to return to court on Thursday. He is facing murder, kidnapping and other charges. Court documents released Monday show that Lord admitted to police that he was responsible for all five shootings.
Police say Lord's criminal record includes convictions for domestic assault, criminal threatening and assault, police said. He's on the state's sex-offender registry after being convicted of unlawful sexual contact with someone under the age of 14.