A woman in Sanford, Maine suffered serious burn wounds after a fire which was caused by her smoking while using an oxygen tank to help her breathe.
Paula Pierce, 67, is being treated at the Maine Medical Center for severe burns. The incident occurred around 8 p.m. at her apartment at 17 Washington St., when neighbors heard Pierce's smoke detector and called 911.
The apartment sustained minor damage, while there was further smoke and water damage to adjoining units.
Two residents of Maine have died in 2019 from smoking while on oxygen.