Mike Milbury has released the following statement:
“My family and I are gratified that the clerk magistrate found no reason to further investigate the incident at Larz Anderson Park two weeks ago when I separated two 12 year old boys in a Pee Wee hockey game, one of whom was my son. I was a coach and supervisor on the ice that day when the scuffle broke out after the game had concluded and the referee had left. I know I acted responsibly to break up an altercation between two young boys in order to prevent potential injury to both. My actions were in no way inappropriate and I would take the same actions today if confronted with a similar situation in the future.”
Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and more
BROOKLINE, Mass. (AP) - A spokesman for former Boston Bruins player and coach Mike Milbury says his client won't face criminal charges for a confrontation he had with a 12-year-old boy after a youth hockey game.
The spokesman made the announcement after a closed door hearing Friday in Brookline District Court, where police and witnesses appeared before a court official.
Police had sought to have Milbury charged with assault and battery, making threats and disorderly conduct.
They said he grabbed, shook and threatened a boy who was fighting with his 12-year-old son Dec. 9.
But Milbury has said he grabbed the player's uniform to stop the fight, but never assaulted or threatened the boy.
The 59-year-old Milbury, an NHL analyst with NBC Sports, had been taken off the air to focus on the situation.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)