Tracking Team USA's roster additions for World Baseball Classic originally appeared on NBC Sports Washington
Remember when Team USA had some trouble attracting MLB stars for the 2017 World Baseball Classic?
Well, the defending WBC champs aren't running into that issue this time around.
Team USA's roster construction process for the 2023 World Baseball Classic couldn't have started any better, as three-time MVP Mike Trout signed up to captain the club in July. And Trout has proven to be far from the only high-profile addition.
Get New England news, weather forecasts and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NECN newsletters.
The Americans have picked up two more MVP winners in Mookie Betts and Paul Goldschmidt (they also had a commitment from two-time MVP Bryce Harper but he has since undergone Tommy John surgery). Team USA has also added several other big-name players like Nolan Arenado, Pete Alonso, Trea Turner, Nestor Cortes, Tim Anderson, Kyle Schwarber and J.T. Realmuto.
What is Team USA's 2023 World Baseball Classic roster?
Here is how Team USA's roster currently stands:
- C J.T. Realmuto, Philadelphia Phillies
- C Will Smith, Los Angeles Dodgers
- 1B Pete Alonso, New York Mets
- 1B Paul Goldschmidt, St. Louis Cardinals
- *2B Trevor Story, Boston Red Sox
- 2B Jeff McNeil, New York Mets
- 3B Nolan Arenado, St. Louis Cardinals
- 3B Bobby Witt Jr., Kansas City Royals
- SS Tim Anderson, Chicago White Sox
- SS Trea Turner, Philadelphia Phillies
- OF Mookie Betts, Los Angeles Dodgers
- *OF Bryce Harper, Philadelphia Phillies
- OF Cedric Mullins, Baltimore Orioles
- OF Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
- OF Kyle Tucker, Houston Astros
- OF Kyle Schwarber, Philadelphia Phillies
- RP David Bednar, Pittsburgh Pirates
- RP Dillon Tate, Baltimore Orioles
- RP Devin Williams, Milwaukee Brewers
- RP Adam Ottavino, New York Mets
- SP Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
- SP Adam Wainwright, St. Louis Cardinals
- SP Nestor Cortes, New York Yankees
- SP Kyle Freeland, Colorado Rockies
- SP Brady Singer, Kansas City Royals
- SP Merrill Kelly, Arizona Diamondbacks
- SP Logan Webb, San Francisco Giants
(*indicates injured player)
Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and more
The Americans will be managed by Mark DeRosa, who played on the 2009 U.S. squad that reached the WBC semifinals. DeRosa's coaching staff features a pair of legends with Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. as hitting coach and five-time World Series champion Andy Pettitte as pitching coach. Jerry Manuel (bench coach), Lou Collier (first base coach), Dino Ebel (third base coach) and Dave Righetti (bullpen coach) round out the staff.
When is the 2023 World Baseball Classic?
The fifth edition of the World Baseball Classic will run from March 8 to March 21 of next year. The tournament has expanded from 16 to 20 teams, with games taking place in Miami, Phoenix, Tokyo and Taichung, Taiwan.
Team USA is in Pool C along with Canada, Colombia and Mexico. Pool play for those teams is from March 11-15 at Chase Field, home of the Arizona Diamondbacks. The semifinals and finals, along with the quarterfinals on Team USA's side of the bracket, will be held at the Miami Marlins' loanDepot Park.