Two games and two draws for the United States.
Heavyweight England entered the match as the favorite, but it was the Americans who looked the more impressive side. The U.S., though, couldn’t come up with a decisive goal.
So with two points through two games, where does the USMNT sit in the Group B standings ahead of its third and final match of the group stage? Here's what to know about the race for knockout-round qualification.
Get New England news, weather forecasts and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NECN newsletters.
How many teams make it to the 2022 FIFA World Cup knockout rounds?
The top two teams from each of the eight groups will advance to the Round of 16.
World Cup 2022
Coverage of the 2022 World Cup
What are the 2022 FIFA World Cup tiebreakers?
The first tiebreaker between teams with the same number of points in a group is overall goal differential. If teams have the same goal differential, then the following criteria are used in order until the tie is settled:
- Greatest number of goals scored in all group matches
- Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned
- Superior goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned
- Greatest number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned
- Highest team conduct score relating to the number of yellow and red cards obtained
- Yellow card: minus 1 point
- Indirect red card (as a result of two yellow cards): minus 3 points
- Direct red card: minus 4 points
- Yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points
- Drawing of lots by FIFA
What is the 2022 FIFA World Cup Group B schedule?
Here are the remaining games in Group B:
United States vs. Iran, Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2 p.m. ET
Wales vs. England, Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2 p.m. ET
How can the USMNT advance in the 2022 FIFA World Cup?
It’s win and you’re in for the U.S.
The USMNT will head into its matchup with Iran on Tuesday needing a victory to advance to the Round of 16. A tie won't be enough for the U.S. after Iran’s 2-0 stoppage-time triumph over Wales. The stunning win catapulted Iran from fourth to second place with three points, one point behind England and one point ahead of the U.S.
There is a scenario where the USMNT could even finish atop the group. A U.S. win over Iran coupled with a Wales win over England would see the Americans finish first with five points. In that scenario, Wales would need to beat England by at least four goals to overtake second place from the Three Lions.
If the U.S. wins and England draws, then first place between the two sides would be decided via tiebreaker. England currently holds the edge there with a goal differential of plus-four.
Wins by both England and the U.S. would see England finish first and the Americans second.
Here's a full look at the Group B standings:
1. England: 4 points, +4 goal differential
2. Iran: 3 points, -2 goal differential
3. United States: 2 points, 0 goal differential
4. Wales: 1 point, -2 goal differential