Running for a Cause: The Young Faces of Liver Disease
I am running the 2011 Boston Marathon to raise money for the American Liver Foundation's Run for Research, and will post frequently about my training here, in these final weeks leading up to the race.
So many people ask me, "Why are you running?" when they find out I'm running the Boston Marathon this Monday. Those who know I'm running for the American Liver Foundation's Run for Research ask, "Do you have a personal connection?"
The answer is yes. Not the kind of personal connection most consider - a family member or life-long friend helped by the American Liver Foundation - rather, a personal connection to the children I've met at several American Liver Foundation events I've hosted or attended over the past eight years. I knew the best way to share this motivation with you is to share the stories of these children with you - in this video, meet Tom Williams, a 16 year-old young man who received a new liver one year ago, and Zachary Rue, a 9 year-old currently battling liver disease.
Don't forget! Everyone who donates to my Run for Research is eligible to win some great prizes, drawn at random, now including Training Shoes from Marathon Sports!
- Two Falmouth Road Race Bib Numbers - Very hard to come by! (Donated by New Balance)
- His/Hers pair of New Balance shoes (Donated by New Balance)
- Head-to-toe package of New Balance gear: apparel, socks, shoes, etc. (Donated by New Balance)
- One free pair of Training Shoes (Donated by Marathon Sports)
Previous Marathon Posts from Matt:
- Post #1: The Journey Continues: Inside My Training for the 2011 Boston Marathon
- Post #2: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, YES! Why I finally decided to run.
- Post #3: A Hill Doesn't Have to Mean Heartbreak
- Post #4: Advice: Why Running the Marathon Was My Secret, For Awhile
- Post #5: Two Sciences Collide, and Find New Balance
- Post #6: The Weatherman's New Clothes: Runner's Apparel
- Post #7: Tom Williams: My Liver Buddy, and a Profile in Teenage Courage
- Post #8: A Rebel With a Cause: My 16 year-old Liver Buddy's Quest to Educate
- Post #9: The Science of Running - More Than Meets the Eye
- Post #10: A Little Knowledge Goes a Long Way - Tour the Course with Coach Martinez