(NECN) - Tracy Hurley of Arbella Insurance offers tips on how to protect yourself as storms like Hurricane Irene approach.
Among her suggestions:
* Standard homeowners' policies cover wind damage to your home and your personal belongings, but most policies do not cover flood damage. This storm is expected to produce extremely heavy rain.
* If your home is damaged, keep a record of all related receipts and documents and be sure to outline the time spent securing your property. Some of these costs may be reimbursed under your policy.
* Photograph the damage, particularly if you must throw away items of value, so you have proof of the damage.
* If you are in doubt about your coverage, call your agent. Changes to your policy coverage cannot be made after a storm and applied retroactively.
* Filing a claim can be a foreign and confusing process for consumers. When in doubt, call your agent or insurance company for advice on how to proceed.