Boston braces for a big one

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

February 7, 2013, 6:01 am
Print Article

(AP/NECN: Justin Michaels, Weston, Mass.) - A major winter storm could dump as much as two feet of snow on sections of New England.

A blizzard watch has been posted for parts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

The National Weather Service says the heaviest snow will fall Friday night into Saturday.

NECN Reporter Justin Michaels got a look at some of the storm preparations.

State officials are urging people to stay off the roads, if possible, during the height of the storm.

"The heaviest storm conditions will happen right around the Friday evening commute...added vehicles on the road will make it difficult to do our snow and ice- plow theĀ  snow and treat the roads - so what we'd really like to do is have people avoid those peak commuting hours as much as possible. That will allow us to be more efficient in our operations for treating the snow and ice and keeping the roads as clear as possible," said Massachusetts Highway Administrator Frank Depaola.

"So any way that people can avoid the highways during the height of the storm will be to our advantage and will help us clear the storm quickly and manage it throughout the event."

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Tags: Boston, weather, New England, snow, Blizzard, snow storm, winter weather, weather stories, Justin Michaels, storm preparations
National Weather Service says weak tornado touched down in Wolcott
Eastern Mass. saw periods of intense rain moving through Wednesday
Severe thunderstorms devastated Tewksbury, Mass. neighborhoods
Investigators said they do not believe anyone outside the family was involved in the Saco shooting
Police in Duxbury, Mass. responded to report of suspicious package in intersection
The blaze in Stow, Mass. injured 4 firefighters; official cause remains under investigation