By Sean McAdam
BOSTON -- Desperate times call for desperate measures, so the Red Sox are exploring any number of options after placing two starters -- John Lackey and Daisuke Matsuzaka -- on the disabled list in the span of 24 hours.
One veteran under consideration, a major-league source indicated Wednesday night, is righthander Kevin Millwood. The Sox were said to be inquiring whether Millwood would be willing to first pitch in Pawtucket, giving the Red Sox a chance to evaluate him further.
Peter Gammons of NESN was the first to report the team's interest in Millwood.
Millwood, 36, signed a minor league deal with the New York Yankees and spent April in their system, going 2-1 with a 4.50 ERA. But when the Yankees didn't add him to their major-league roster on May 1, Millwood used an opt-out clause in his contract and went home.
In 14 seasons with five clubs in the big leagues, Millwood is 159-137 with a career 4.11 ERA.
Reports had Millwood only hitting in the mid-80s with his fastball while in the Yankees' system. Last year, he was 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA pitching for the Baltimore Orioles.
Millwood is represented by Scott Boras, and until the Yankees expressed an interest in signing him in late March, received little in the way of offers from other clubs.
The team might also be keeping an eye on Armando Galarraga, who was released by the Arizona Diamondbacks. If Galarraga clears waivers, as expected, he could be another depth option, though if he didn't pitch well in the N.L. West which features pitcher-friendly ballparks, it's uncertain how he'd fare in the much tougher American League East.
The Sox would have already promoted Felix Doubront to Boston from Pawtucket had he not been on the disabled list with a groin pull. Doubront is close to being activated, but will need time to begin throwing. A club source said Doubront might be ready to contribute within two weeks.
Sean McAdam can be reached at email@example.com. Follow Sean on Twitter at http://twitter.com/sean_mcadam