Carbon monoxide scare causes evacuation in Waltham, Mass.

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

November 17, 2013, 10:59 am
SHARE THIS POST
Print Article


(NECN: Mike Cronin, Waltham, Mass.) – The deputy chief of Waltham Fire Department has confirmed that 50 children were evacuated from the St. Mary’s Religious Education Center in Waltham, Mass. due to high carbon monoxide readings.

Of the 50 evacuated, 17 of those children were transported to local hospitals due to symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Other parents are driving their children to the hospital on their own.

Additionally, 4 adults were transported to the hospital.

This was just a precaution; all of them are expected to be okay.

“Everybody was scared and freaking out, and they didn’t know what was going on,” said Amber Castriotta, 9.

The deputy chief of Waltham Fire explained what could have caused the high levels of carbon monocide.

“Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burning. So the boilers were running. So there was a blockage in the chimney or a cracked fire chamber, that would explain why we have such high levels of carbon monoxide,” explained deputy chief Michael Quinn.

It is unclear if St. Mary’s will hold their scheduled classes during the week. The incident remains under investigation.

Tags: massachusetts, Waltham, Mike Cronin, carbon monocide, St. Mary's Religious Education Center
RELATED STORIES
COMMENTS
demoulas
Arthur T. Demoulas has made an offer with his side of the family to purchase the supermarket chain
Reports say a motorcycle crashed into a pole in Norwell, Mass.
The flight was heading from Burkina Faso to Algie