Local

Fire Officials: House Fire in Gorham, Maine Claims Life of Man

Gorham fire photo
WCSH6

Fire officials say a man who lived by himself died over the weekend after his house located near Portland went up in flames.

The blaze at the home on Bear Run Road in Gorham was reported around 6:43 p.m. Sunday. Fire crews arrived shortly after to find flames jutting out from the home's first-floor windows.

Fire Chief Robert Lefebvre says the victim was found by firefighters once they entered the burning three-bedroom structure. The man was identified later by the state fire marshal as 55-year-old Barry Dunlap.

Firefighters from Windham responded to help Gorham crews extinguish the blaze. Officials say most of the damage at the 1 ½-story property was contained to the kitchen and first floor.

State fire marshals say it appears the fire started as Dunlap was deep frying on the kitchen stove, and oil caught fire and ignited the kitchen cabinets.

It appears Dunlap attempted to put out the fire and suffered severe burns as a result, according to investigators.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us