Pending sex abuse cases against the Boys Scouts of America reportedly involve at least 20 victims from Massachusetts.
The Boston Globe reports attorney Mitchell Garabedian said he has represented at least 20 people who were sexually abused as children by Boy Scout leaders in the Bay State.
Garabedian also told the Globe he’s previously represented people who were sexually abused by Catholic priests who went to Boy Scout meetings.
The latest news from around the state
Nearly 200 victims from dozens of states have already signed on to a sexual abuse lawsuit against the Boy Scouts as details continue to emerge about cover-ups dating back to the 1940s.
Disturbing details of the organization’s system of denial were unveiled Monday as attorneys called for the full release of thousands of names in the Boy Scouts’ "perversion files," in which thousands of alleged offenders are named.
There were nearly 8,000 suspected abusers and more than 12,000 victims in the Boy Scouts, according to testimony by a professional approved to audit the files.
The knowledge of the files themselves is not new, as outlets including NBC have previously reported on them. An Oregon judge ordered their release in 2012 after they were shown to a jury in a civil suit.
The Boy Scouts of America said in a statement that they “care deeply about all victims of child sex abuse and sincerely apologize to anyone who was harmed during their time in Scouting.”
"We believe victims, we support them, and we have paid for unlimited counseling by a provider of their choice. Nothing is more important than the safety and protection of children in Scouting and we are outraged that there have been times when individuals took advantage of our programs to abuse innocent children," the statement reads in part.
It continues: "At no time have we ever knowingly allowed a sexual predator to work with youth, and we mandate that all leaders, volunteers and staff members nationwide immediately report any abuse allegation to law enforcement."