Massachusetts Fire Caused By Sunshine Reflecting Off Mirror

There were no injuries

A fire that forced three residents out of an antique farmhouse in central Massachusetts is being blamed on a shaving mirror.

Brookfield fire Chief Peter Martell tells The Telegram & Gazette ( ) that the magnifying mirror was on a bench on the home's deck on Monday when it reflected a beam of sunlight onto the side of the wooden house, sparking the blaze.

The fire was reported at about 2:30 p.m. by a passer-by who noticed smoke.

Only one of the three residents was home at the time. He escaped without injury.

Martell says the house sustained extensive damage and the Red Cross helped residents find temporary housing.

The home had working smoke detectors.

Brookfield is about 60 miles west of Boston.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us