Cigarette Causes Fire in Derry, NH

02242011 generic-fire-truck

A fire broke out at a residence in Derry, New Hampshire Sunday morning. The Derry Fire Department say the cause of the fire was a cigarette.

Dispatchers received the 911 call at approximately 9:22 a.m. Crews arrived on scene where fire was seen from the second floor.

Occupants of the building were rescued safely. The Red Cross arrived to assist two adults who lived inside the most damaged unit.

The Derry Fire Department said in a press release the cause of the fire was a cigarette that was improperly disposed. Derry Fire added that smoking is the leading cause of home fire deaths in the United States. Derry Fire says to soak cigarette butts and ashes in water before disposing them and never toss hot cigarette butts and ashes away.

One resident was evaluated by emergency crews and one firefighter was injured from a fall due to icy conditions.

Contact Us