Local

Vermont

Vermont Home a Total Loss After Fire Sparked From Wood Stove

Mere new pup (28)
SPCA of Texas

A home in Vermont was destroyed when a fire that started in the basement spread to the rest of the wooden frame structure early Saturday morning.

No one was hurt in the blaze but the home, at 48 Pond St. in Newport, is considered a total loss.

The fire originated in the basement, officials say, just above where a wood stove had been burning. The home's owner had stoked the wood stove around 3 a.m., officials say, and began to smell smoke around 4:30 a.m.

Sometime between 5:15 a.m. and 5:30 a.m., the homeowner discovered the fire in the basement and attempted to extinguish it with a garden hose, according to officials.

The homeowner called the Newport City Fire Department just prior to 6 a.m. When firefighters arrived on scene, they discovered the flames had spread to all floors of the home.

The fire is believed to be accidental.

Contact Us