Hoverboard Sparked Maryland House Fire While Charging, Fire Officials Say

fire-IMG_6785
Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department

A hoverboard sparked a house fire early Wednesday morning in Calvert County, Maryland, fire officials said.

Fire alarms alerted a family about an early-morning fire at their home in the 2000 block of Mount Pleasant Way in Prince Frederick, according to a release from the Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Department.

Crews arrived to find visible smoke and a small fire in the basement of the house.

After putting out the fire, firefighters found "a serious issue" with a hoverboard inside the residence, officials said. They later determined the hoverboard caught fire while charging.

No one was injured.

In a press release, the fire department shared tips for hoverboard safety from the National Fire Protection Association, available online here (PDF)

Contact Us