Lawrence High School students were sent home Friday after a reported threat to the school prompted a lockdown situation, authorities said.
Mayor Dan Rivera said in a press conference no one had been injured and reports of a possible shooting incident were untrue. He added students were sent home in "an abundance of caution."
Police Chief Roy Vasque said his department received reports early Friday about "a possible incident that may be happening at the high school related to a shooting or possible shooting."
U.S. & World
Vasque earlier told NBC10 Boston precautions were being taken due to an "internet threat."
After the lockdown was issued Friday morning, some 70 busses were deployed to take students home.
The lockdown came as emergency officials dealt with a major gas leak in Lawrence on Friday morning. There is no indication that there is any connection between the gas leak and the school lockdown.