Family of 7 Recovering After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Family of 7 Recovering After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Woman Released From Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Leak

    Latoya Tillberg says the medical staff at the hospital was surprised she and the six other members of her family survived the poisoning. (Published Friday, Nov. 2, 2018)

    Crews in Lawrence, Massachusetts, are still on scene at a home with elevated carbon monoxide levels.

    Latoya Tillberg just got out of the hospital.

    "I thank God for saving my entire family. All seven of us could have been fatal," she said.

    She's one of seven family members taken to the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    7 People Taken to Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Leak

    [NECN] 7 People Taken to Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Leak

    Seven people, including at least one toddler, have been taken to a hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at a home in Lawrence, officials say.

    (Published Friday, Nov. 2, 2018)

    Tillberg says they hadn't been feeling well for a couple of days, but when she came home Friday afternoon, everyone was disoriented.

    "The headaches, diarrhea, unsteadiness. Everybody was not themselves," she said.

    She called 911 and paramedics arrived quickly Friday afternoon.

    Firefighters responding to the scene found high levels of carbon monoxide in the Canton Street duplex.

    "My bedroom is on the top so like 410 was the number versus 264 on the bottom...as soon as the firefighters walked in, his alarm started dinging, dinging, dinging... we had to evacuate," Tillberg said.

    Firefighters say the furnace malfunctioned, leading to very low levels of oxygen inside the home. All of the exhaust was going right into the home.

    Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Lot Overnight

    [NATL] Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Wisconsin Lot Overnight

    A 4-year-old girl was left alone inside a minivan overnight in a Milwaukee tow lot, authorities said. An impaired driver was pulled over and arrested for operating while intoxicated. Officers removed a 10-month-old child from the vehicle but left the 4-year-old girl, who spent the night in the tow lot where temperatures dropped to 19 degrees.

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018)

    "They're going to have all of the equipment replaced before anybody can turn anything on," Tillberg said.

    She also says the medical staff at the hospital was surprised they were all alive.

    "They could not believe that it's not fatalities, all 7 of us."

    The home did have carbon monoxide detectors, but they may not have been working.

    Tillberg has this message for other families.

    "Get your batteries checked and detectors, make sure they're working. Thank God for everybody."

    Professor Sues Over Transgender Pronoun Rebuke

    [NATL] Professor Sues Over Transgender Pronoun Rebuke

    A Shawnee State University professor is suing officials after receiving a written warning for violating its nondiscrimination policy by not addressing a transgender student using the gender terms preferred by the student. Nicholas Meriwether, a philosophy professor and evangelical Christian, filed a federal lawsuit this month against officials at the university in Portsmouth. 

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018)

    Firefighters say this was an isolated incident, and it had nothing to do with the wider gas line issues plaguing the city since the gas explosions back in September.

    All five adults and two children taken to the hospital Friday should be okay.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android