Chelsea Man Charged With Raping His 2 Foster Children - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Chelsea Man Charged With Raping His 2 Foster Children

DCF said Friday that it finds the allegations "deeply disturbing"

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Foster Father Accused of Sexually Assaulting 2 Girls

    A Chelsea man is accused of sexually assaulting two of his foster children.

    (Published Friday, July 26, 2019)

    A Massachusetts man is facing multiple charges for allegedly raping two foster children who were in his care.

    Michael Diaz, 33, of Chelsea, was arrested July 19 on nine counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14, six counts of aggravated rape of a child under 16 and one count of distributing matter harmful to a minor.

    According to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office, Diaz was a state Department of Children and Families approved foster parent to the victims when the alleged sexual abuse occurred.

    Both victims disclosed the alleged abuse by their former foster father during interviews conducted last week.

    Chelsea Foster Father Charged With Raping 2 Girls

    [NECN] Chelsea Foster Father Charged With Raping 2 Girls

    A former foster father in Chelsea is accused of raping two girls who were in his care.

    (Published Friday, July 26, 2019)

    "These allegations are incredibly disturbing to me not only as District Attorney but as a licensed foster parent and an emergency foster care provider," District Attorney Rachael Rollins said in a statement. "Foster children are brought into strangers’ homes during some of the darkest, most frightening times in their young lives. Foster parents are tasked with providing the safety, support, and stability that these children need to move forward and recover from the trauma many have experienced prior to DCF involvement."

    "That an individual would further harm those most vulnerable represents the ultimate breach of trust. I promise the children and families who have contact with DCF and our foster care system that we will do everything within the power of this Office to ensure they receive exceptional care and protection. Further, I promise that this individual will be held accountable for his egregious and criminal behavior."

    DCF issued a statement Friday saying it finds the allegations "deeply disturbing." The agency said it immediately removed the two children in March 2019, closed the home and notified the district attorney.

    "DCF is collaborating with law enforcement throughout the investigation," the statement said.

    Diaz was arraigned Monday in Chelsea District Court and bail was set at $50,000. He is scheduled to return to court on Aug. 21.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android