Military Cannon to Remain Displayed in Seekonk After Vote - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Military Cannon to Remain Displayed in Seekonk After Vote

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Seekonk Cannon Controversy

    Residents of Seekonk, Massachusetts, will vote on what should happen to an M114 Howitzer placed at Veterans Memorial Park.

    (Published Monday, April 2, 2018)

    There's a cannon controversy in Seekonk, Massachusetts.

    Neighbors voted Monday to keep a military canon, an M114 Howitzer, that was placed at Veterans Memorial Park next to a library.

    "It has protected veterans and that's why we wanted to put it there to honor these people," said Donald Kinniburgh, a Vietnam veteran.

    Over the course of months, some neighbors have complained about its placement.

    Do Not Eat Any Romaine Lettuce: Health Officials

    [NATL] Do Not Eat Any Romaine Lettuce: Health Officials

    Health officials in the U.S. and Canada are urging people to stay away from all romaine lettuce and products after 32 people in 11 states were sickened by an E. coli outbreak.

    (Published 6 hours ago)

    "I just don't feel that a gun belongs there," said Bob Blanchard, a Korean War veteran.

    The Howitzer lasted about seven months before being taken away. Police hauled it away to their headquarters.

    The cannon's future became a question in the town's annual election. The results saw 1,225 voters, or 72 percent, selecting to return the cannon to Veterans Memorial Park, with just 484 voting to keep it removed.

    "If the people vote 'yes,' it'll stay," said David Viera, chairman of Veterans Memorial Park. "If the people vote 'no,' it'll go."

    Viera said he thought it was a "no-brainier" to add the artifact.

    "I regret the process," said Viera. "I regret the fact I didn't ask the board of library trustees first before putting it there. However, I would put it there all over again."

    Judge Blocks Trump's Migrant Non-Port of Entry Asylum Ban

    [NATL] Judge Blocks Trump's Migrant Non-Port of Entry Asylum Ban

    An order from a federal judge overnight barred the Trump administration from blocking asylum requests from migrants who cross the U.S.-Mexico border illegally. This happens as a caravan criticized by President Donald Trump arrived in Tijuana, Mexico, across the border from San Diego. 

    (Published Tuesday, Nov. 20, 2018)

    Adding to it all, a postcard was received by neighbors last week, giving them the wrong instructions on what a "no" vote means.

    "I think there are folks that are against it that wanted to trick people to vote 'no,'" said Seekonk's town moderator, Peter Hoogerzeil. "That's how I read it. Since they didn't identify themselves, to me, it seems intentional."

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android