Child reports New Bedford, Mass. fire that left 2 in serious condition

To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.

March 8, 2014, 8:07 am
Print Article

(NECN: Katelyn Tivnan, New Bedford, Mass.) - New Bedford, Mass. first responders arrive to find a mother and her 23-year-old son trapped inside their burning home.

The one-alarm fire broke out around 4:30 a.m. Saturday.

According to fire officials, a 9-year-old inside the home called 911 when he heard smoke alarms.

"That's what alerted the 9-year-old," said District Chief Michael Dandurand of New Bedford Fire. "he heard the smoke detector, woke up, woke his parents up and made the call."

The father was also in the home.

Dandurand says he tried putting the fire out with buckets of water as he waited for help.

Police were able to pull the mother from the home when they arrived. Soon after, firefighters located the 23-year-old son.

"Fire crews got up to the top of the stairs, found the fire, could see a victim's feet in the distance," said New Bedford Fire Chief Michael Gomes. "They pushed past the fire without the hoseline, grabbed the male and removed him from the building."

The two victims are being treated at a Rhode Island hospital and are said to be in serious condition. Meanwhile, Dandurand says he praises that 9-year-old for his quick thinking and for knowing how to react.

"The timing, hopefully, will send a message to others," he said. "Keep your smoke detectors active and change the batteries twice a year."

The cause if this fire remains under investigation, but at this point, fire officials say it appears to be accidental.

The office of Massachusetts Fire Marshal Stephen Coan has also put out a reminder this week asking people that, as they change our clocks forward this weekend, we should also take the time to change the batteries in their smoke alarms.

This fire is an unfortunate example of just how important those smoke alarms are.

Tags: massachusetts, Fire, New Bedford, Rhode Island Hospital
Boston Globe reports the supermarket chain's board of directors only agreed to continue negotiating
More than 60 buildings were damaged; no serious injuries reported
Authorities say 34-year-old Nathaniel E. Kibby of Gorham, NH has been charged with 1 count felony kidnapping