To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.
Former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has been indicted for murder in a 2012 double killing in Boston's South End.
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said at a press conference on Thursday morning that Hernandez has been indicted on two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder, one count of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of unlawfully carrying a deadly weapon. Other charges are still possible.
Hernandez had previously been linked to the unsolved murders of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. The two were gunned down on July 16, 2012 while driving a silver BMW on Shawmut Avenue in Boston's South End. Another man sitting in the back seat was shot in the arm.
De Abreu suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the chest; Furtado suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the head.
The Suffolk County DA Daniel Conley says the victims were "ambushed" and insensibly murdered on the streets that they called home. He called it a "chance encounter" at Cure nightclub.
Conley says Hernandez fired a .38 caliber revolver multiple times. He says it is possible that other charges could be pressed against other people, but Hernandez was the principal shooter.
Boston Police Commissioner Evans says these innocent victims were not involved in any gang activity. Evans says his thoughts and prayers are with the victims' families.
Hernandez went on to play 10 games in the NFL that season. According to the NFL's official statistics, he had 51 receptions with five touchdowns that year.
Charles W. Rankin and James L. Sultan, Hernandez's lawyers, issued a statement criticizing the district attorney for attempting to try the case in the media.
"It is one thing to make allegations at a press conference, and another thing to prove them in a courtroom," the statement reads. "Under our system of justice, Aaron Hernandez is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court."
A spokesperson with the Patriots tells NBC News by phone that the organization does not expect to release a statement regarding the latest allegations for their former star player.
The families of de Abreu and Furtado filed wrongful death lawsuits against Hernandez in February of 2014. Each suit seeks $6 million.
Hernandez is currently being held without bail in the unrelated murder in 2013 of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd of North Attleboro, Massachusetts.
Hernandez was also indicted May 1 on charges related to an alleged altercation with another inmate inside the Bristol County House of Correction on Feb. 25 and threats he allegedly made while in custody back on Nov. 1.
Also on Thursday, Hernandez's defense team introduced a motion to dismiss the first degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm charges he faces in the Lloyd case. His attorneys argue prosecutors haven't established probable cause that their client either murdered Lloyd himself or participated in his killing with others.