To view this site, you need to have Flash Player 9.0.115 or later installed. Click here to get the latest Flash player.
(NECN: Mike Cronin) - The Worcester, Mass. man who chatted online about his plans to rape, kill and eat children will now spend almost the next 27 years in prison, far away from children.
“I feel very gratified that we were in a position to protect children,” said U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz.
Tuesday, Geoffrey Portway was sentenced for child pornography charges and solicitation to commit a crime of violence. The 40-year-old British citizen was arrested last year. Federal prosecutors say they found a soundproof dungeon in Portway's former Worcester home where he had a child sized coffin, cage, restraints and a butchering kit.
“We believe that Mr. Portway reflected the real deal. That he was making preparations to kidnap a child or children to abuse them and do worse,” Ortiz said.
Portway did not address the court. His defense says he was living a fantasy life and never attempted to abduct a child. However, in thousands of online chats with other men, prosecutors say Portway was serious. In one chat, they say, Portway told another man "I want to eat ... The two boys you will bring me... Perhaps not today, but it will happen. That is all I live for. ... I am serious. It is the only thing that gets me up in the morning."
“We believe that he was preparing to do something,” Ortiz said. “Absolutely.”
Portway is one of more than 60 people who have been arrested worldwide as part of an international pornography case. Authorities say they've rescued more than 160 children.
“People think that they can remain anonymous behind their computers, but the fact is they can't. And this is another example of how and why they can't,” says Bruce Foucart with the Homeland Security investigations. “And we'll be there and we'll be there to investigate and prosecute.”