Family Displaced After Early-Morning Fire | NECN
Connecticut

Connecticut

The latest news from around the state

Family Displaced After Early-Morning Fire

(Published Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016)

A family is displaced, but safe thanks to smoke detectors, after fire broke out in their Colchester home early Tuesday morning.

Two adults and two children were sleeping when fire started around 4:30 a.m. in their Lebanon Avenue home,

Colchester Deputy Fire Chief Don Lee said there was heavy fire coming from the second floor when firefighters arrived and they knew four people might be inside, but the residents were able to escape out the back of the building.

Crews shut down the road and fire departments from nearby towns came in to help Colchester.

“We’re a rural area here in Colchester. We don’t have any water, so we received mutual aid with the tankers that assisted us with water supply,” Lee said.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while fighting the fire and crews rescued two cats.

A resident of the home was too upset to speak on camera about what happened, but said he is grateful they are all OK and said practice in getting out of the house in an emergency it helped them get out in time.

The home has extensive damage and it is uninhabitable.

“Crews did an excellent job and were able to get inside and get it under control,” Lee said.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS