Missing Couple's Son Pleads Not Guilty to Federal Gun Charge | NECN
Connecticut

Connecticut

The latest news from around the state

Missing Couple's Son Pleads Not Guilty to Federal Gun Charge

The son of a missing Easton, Connecticut couple who sources said is a person of interest in his parents' disappearance has pleaded not guilty to a federal gun charge. (Published Thursday, Sept. 24, 2015)

The son of a missing Easton, Connecticut couple who sources said is a person of interest in his parents' disappearance has pleaded not guilty to a federal gun charge.

Kyle Navin, 27, of Bridgeport, has been charged with possession of a firearm by someone who is illegally using or addicted to a controlled substance, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

State, local and federal authorities searched Kyle Navin's home last month as part of the investigation into the disappearance of his parents, Jeffrey Navin, 56, and Jeanette Navin, 55. 

During the search, investigators found two guns and several rounds of ammunition in his bedroom, along with evidence of heroin use, empty bottles of oxycodone and other prescription drugs, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

A search of his cellphone revealed text messages discussing Navin's use of heroin, oxycodone and Xanax.

Navin has been in custody since he was arrested on Sept. 8 and a federal grand jury returned an indictment last Thursday. He pleaded not guilty on Thursday.

Investigators said they also found a receipt from a shooting range dated Aug. 5, the day after his parents, Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin, disappeared from their Easton home.

Jeffrey Navin serves as president of the J&J Refuse sanitation company in Westport, while Jeanette Navin works as a school library aide in Weston. Police said they had recently moved to Easton from Westport.

Kyle Navin works as operations manager of J&J Refuse and told police the family was in the process of selling the company, according to search warrants obtained by NBC Connecticut.

Police records indicate he saw his parents the morning they vanished. According to the warrants, Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin visited their son and asked to take him out to dinner, but Kyle Navin said he had a broken back and declined.

That was the last anyone heard from Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin.

A judge ordered an extension on the detention of Kyle Navin. 

Jury selection for a trial could begin on Nov. 9.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS