Ex-KKK Chief Asks to Bar Subpoena Over Charlottesville Rally - NECN
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Ex-KKK Chief Asks to Bar Subpoena Over Charlottesville Rally

David Duke claims the subpoena would impose "an undue burden and a significant expense" on him

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Ex-KKK Chief Asks to Bar Subpoena Over Charlottesville Rally
    Zach Gibson/AFP/Getty Images, File
    In this Aug. 13, 2017, file photo, people light candles in the form of a peace sign in front of the White House for a vigil in response to the death of a counter-protestor at a "Unite the Right" rally that turned violent the day before in Charlottesville, Virginia.

    What to Know

    • Eleven people hurt during a deadly clash between white nationalists and counterprotesters in Charlottesville last year filed a civil lawsuit

    • They want ex-Klan leader David Duke to turn over records related to communications he and other white nationalists had before the rally

    • Duke says the subpoena is overly broad and would impose "an undue burden and a significant expense" on him

    Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke has asked a judge to block a subpoena in a federal lawsuit filed by 11 people injured during a violent clash between white nationalists and counterprotesters in Charlottesville last year.

    The plaintiffs are seeking to compel Duke to turn over records related to communications he and other white nationalists had before the rally, along with records of efforts to solicit donations.

    In court documents, Duke says the subpoena is overly broad and would impose "an undue burden and a significant expense" on him.

    A woman was killed when a car drove into a crowd protesting the white nationalists.

    Duke initially filed his request in Virginia, where the lawsuit is filed. A judge ruled it should have been filed in Louisiana, where Duke lives.