Last Known Body Recovered From Rubble After Mexico Quake, Death Toll 369 - NECN
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Last Known Body Recovered From Rubble After Mexico Quake, Death Toll 369

The national Civil Defense chief, Luis Felipe Puente, tweeted that the official federal death toll had risen to 369

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck Mexico Tuesday in the state of Puebla, which is about 80 miles southeast of Mexico City. This latest quake comes less than two weeks after an 8.1 earthquake hit the country, killing nearly 100 people. (Published Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017)

    The last body known to be trapped in rubble following Mexico's magnitude 7.1 earthquake has been recovered, officials said Wednesday, and they raised the overall death toll from the quake to 369.

    The body was recovered from a collapsed office building in central Mexico City where a steadily dwindling number of families kept vigil for two weeks as an international assortment of rescuers worked a massive rubble heap. It was the last known active recovery site.

    Roberto Campa, the Interior Department's deputy secretary for human rights, said via Twitter that 49 bodies were recovered from the site. They include 19 women and 30 men.

    Mexico City Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said in an interview with Milenio television that the office building, which counted an employment agency and accounting firm among its tenants, was the last place in the city where bodies were being recovered.

    Mexico Earthquake Interrupts Anniversary Interview of 1985 Quake Victim

    [NATL-DFW] Mexico City Earthquake Interrupts 1985 Quake Anniversary Interview

    Telemundo 39 reporter Norma Garcia was in Mexico City Tuesday interviewing a survivor of the catastrophic 1985 earthquake, where at least 5,000 people die, on its anniversary when a 7.1 magnitude temblor rocked the capital city.

    Towards the end of the interview, the siren of a seismic alert began to ring.

    Garcia, photographer Daniel Manrique and the woman being interviewed, Susana Irma Laguna Aburto, struggled to remain on their feet as they tried to move from the garden where they were shooting to a safer area.

    In Manrique's video, buildings can be seen moving, power lines swaying and cars jolting from side to side.

    None of the people in the video were injured in the quake.

    (Published Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017)

    "We do not have any missing person," he said. Mancera added that all bodies had been identified.

    The national Civil Defense chief, Luis Felipe Puente, tweeted that the official federal death toll had risen to 369. Of those, 228 were in the capital.