Dad Suspected in Death of 2-Year-Old Found Buried in Conn. Park: PD

NBC Universal, Inc.

A 26-year-old Stamford man is a suspect in the death of his 2-year-old son, Liam Rivera, who was found in a plastic bag buried in a park, according to Stamford police.

Stamford police said they received a call at 11:50 a.m. Monday reporting a possible kidnapping and a child who might have been injured.

Authorities learned the child might have been buried in the area of Cummings Park, and officers found an area where dirt was disturbed. It was there where they found the child buried in a plastic bag, police said.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined the child died of homicide and the cause of death was blunt force injuries to the head.

Edgar Ismalej-Gomez, 26, of Stamford, was considered a possible person of interest, police said. He was arrested Tuesday morning on a violation of probation warrant and he is being held on charges unrelated to the child's death. Bond has been set at $3 million.

During a news conference Tuesday afternoon, police called Ismalej-Gomez a suspect.

Police found Ismalej-Gomez's vehicle at Scalzi Park Monday night.

At 1:51 a.m. Tuesday, officers located Ismalej-Gomez when they stopped a taxi on West Main Street and took him into custody. Police said there an order of protection had been issued.

Stamford Police Chief Timothy Shaw said these officers will need resources and support and the department will make sure they get what they need.

These officers stepped up because they care, Shaw added.

Stamford Mayor Caroline Simmons called the situation is “a horrific and unimaginable tragedy” and said her heart breaks for the tragic loss of 2-year-old Liam.

“My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time. I have full faith in the Stamford Police Department that the facts will be uncovered as this investigation continues. My office will do everything we can to support and provide resources to our police officers involved in this incident, as well as postvention services to the family involved in this untimely death situation. I am committed to working in partnership with Chief Shaw and his team to ensure justice is served in this investigation,” Simmons said in a statement.

Contact Us