A 52-year-old man from Malden, Massachusetts, is being charged after he allegedly fired multiple rounds of gunshots in a wooded area of Stoneham Wednesday, causing two nearby schools to enter into a shelter-in-place.
Stoneham Police are charging the man, whose name was not released, with discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, improper storage of a firearm, violation of a town bylaw relating to the discharge of a firearm, disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace.
Massachusetts State Police assisted local police Wednesday after authorities received several 911 calls for a report of gunshots.
U.S. & World
Stoneham Police Chief James McIntyre said when officers arrived to the area of Karen Drive, three men were running in a backyard.
"A person carrying a bag, another person had a target stand, another person was running in the yard and it looked like they were trying to hide items in a garage and shed," McIntyre said.
When asked what they were doing, the men initially did not tell police the truth. McIntyre said they later admitted to firing rounds into a tree.
"After a period of time, the presence of state police, Stoneham Police, the Airwing, some K9s, may have helped the involved parties admit their involvement in a little target practice behind the house. And they shot some rounds into a tree," McIntyre said.
School Superintendent John Macero said the shelter-in-place that had been in effect at Colonial Park Elementary School and Stoneham High School was later lifted.
He said the schools were asked by police to enter a shelter-in-place as a precaution due to the police activity near the school.