A 9-year-old boy who shot in New Haven last Tuesday night has been released from hte hospital after being there for around a week.
Police said they believe the boy and his dad had been out looking for his basketball after someone took it before shots were fired on Tuesday, April 30.
Investigators think the boy had been outside playing basketball on a court near his home when more boys joined the game until one of them took the child’s ball and left with it.
U.S. & World
Soon after, the 9-year-old and his father walked around their Dixwell neighborhood and looked for the basketball, then a car picked them up.
The father, mother and son were all in the car on Foote Street when several gunshots were fired at the family’s vehicle around 7 p.m. and the 9-year-old was struck once in the pelvis, police said.
The family drove to Yale-New Haven Hospital and New Haven, then an ambulance transported him to Yale New Haven Children’s Hospital. He was released on Tuesday, May 7.
Police responded to the hospital and the scene of the shooting.
Several neighborhood children were present during the incident and Yale Child Study Center clinicians responded to the scene, police said.
Any witnesses should call the New Haven Police Department Detective Bureau at 203-946-6304.