Local

Officials Respond to Needham House Fire, Explosions

Fire officials responded to a five-alarm house fire in Needham, Massachusetts, with reports of explosions Saturday.

Fire Chief Dennis Condon said Saturday afternoon that the house fire had been put out, but the house at 94 Brookside Road was a total loss.

At this point, the fire is mostly burning in a marsh behind the house. Officials are working to protect surrounding houses from the flames.

Condon says the fire is difficult to control because of wind.

The fire began in the rear of the house, and the reported explosions were believed to be propane or aerosol inside of the house, Condon said.

Neighbor Katherine Chan says no one was home at the time of the fire. The mother is out of town at a conference and the father and their three children were not home, Chan said.

She also said she heard what sounded like explosions coming from the house.

"It's just explosions, loud 'pop...' it was too close. I feel very sorry for the family. I couldn't imagine when they come home there's not a home to come home to," Chan said. 

No one was found inside of the home, Condon said. One firefighter sustained a minor eye injury and was treated at the scene.

Brookside Road is closed between Wellesley Avenue and Forest Street in Needham.

Contact Us