Two men were seriously injured in separate fireworks incidents in Maine on New Year's Eve, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office.
Joseph Chandler, 62, of Minot, lost a thumb and finger when a reloadable fireworks mortar exploded in his hand just outside his home. Fire investigators said he likely put the fireworks shell in backwards. He is being treated at Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston.
Kiel Larson, 23, of Milo, also suffered a serious hand injury when a fireworks reloadable mortar exploded in his hand. According to the Portland Press Herald, he was at a friend's house at the time. Larson is being treated at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.
The incidents remain under investigation, but the State Fire Marshal's Office said it is "likely" that alcohol was a factor.