Happy Homecomings for 2 Ohio Women, Families Seek Privacy - NECN

Happy Homecomings for 2 Ohio Women, Families Seek Privacy



    Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus welcomed home by jubilant crowds Wednesday; Michelle Knight remains at Metro Health Medical Center (Published Sunday, Jan. 26, 2014)

    May 8, 5 p.m. UPDATE: A Cleveland man arrested after three women missing for a decade were found alive at his home was charged Wednesday with kidnapping and raping them. Prosecutors brought no charges against his brothers, saying there was no evidence they had any part in the crime.

    Ariel Castro, 52, was charged with four counts of kidnapping - covering all three captives and the daughter born to one of them while she was held - and three counts of rape against the three women.

    (NECN: Greg Wayland) – There were swarms of balloons, media, and well-wishers, but never even a glimpse of Amanda Berry's arrival at her sister's house, just a thank you from her sister. 

    "...and at this time our family would like to request privacy so my sister, niece and I can have time to recover," said Berry’s sister Beth Serrano.

    The homecoming for Gina DeJesus afforded only a rushing glimpse of the girl and more of the warm welcoming tumult of neighbors.

    Her aunt spoke afterwards.

    The third woman, Michelle Knight, remains hospitalized. Her eventual homecoming is complicated by a painful family situation.

    Her mother, on the "Today Show,” said she fears her daughter may still blame her family for domestic troubles, including a custody battle over Knight’s young son.

    “I started crying and I was happy they found her because I was looking for her and I just don't want her to think I forgot about her," her mother said.

    Meager but disturbing details are slowly emerging, including ropes and chains found in the home of 51-year-old Ariel Castro.

    He and two brothers, Pedro Castro, 54, and Onil Castro, 50, are in custody.

    Berry, 27, Knight, 32 and DeJesus, about 23, had been held in the house since their teens or early twenties.

    Police are facing questions about their handling of the case and reports they'd been summoned to Castro's house before.

    “We had two calls in regards to that residence over the years and one was from the residence relative to a fight in the street. The other one had to do with a 4-year-old left on the school bus that the one suspect was driving. Other than that we have no other calls for service or complaints at that particular address."

    Meanwhile, relatives and friends of the brothers are shocked.

    "He fooled our family; he fooled a community; he fooled his own grandkids. It's a horrible thought but obviously someone that is capable of these things, this is sociopathic behavior," said Castro’s cousin Maria Castro Montes.