Brookline High School Investigating Racist Snapchat Videos - NECN
Massachusetts

Massachusetts

The latest news from around the state

Brookline High School Investigating Racist Snapchat Videos

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Brookline High Investigating Racist Video

    School officials in Brookline, Massachusetts are investigating after at least two online videos surfaced allegedly showing students using racial slurs.

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017)

    School officials in Brookline, Massachusetts, say they have identified the suspects who allegedly used racist slurs towards another student in some Snapchat videos.

    One of the hateful videos used the N-word to target a Brookline High School student and the other was also filled with the racial slur.

    NBC Boston bleeped out the slurs and blurred the faces of two BHS students and a recent graduate.

    Students in the school's African American and Latino scholars program shared the original version online.

    Brookline High School Investigating Racist Video

    [NECN] Brookline High School Investigating Racist Video

    Two disturbing videos are under investigation by Brookline, Massachusetts school officials. Students allegedly use racial slurs about another student.

    (Published Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017)

    A number of students say they are offended by what they saw but they are not surprised.

    "I’m appalled," one student said.

    Another said, "I felt anger like I was sick to my stomach."

    They say they want to expose a racist culture at their school.

    "I thought it was absolutely disgusting but at BHS this type of behavior is normal," student Griffy Estime said.

    "I don’t feel safe here at school," Shaniyah Clouden said.

    Clouden says she has a class with one of the boys who says the N-word in the video over and over again.

    "They're always some kind of racial remark that he claims is a joke," Clouden added. "After seeing this video and seeing the real intent that he had now I know you are not joking and this is really how you feel."

    The school sent a letter to parents saying in part, "…we are disgusted and deeply disturbed that any member of the BHS community would make such vile, hate-filled videos”

    Officials go on to call the videos unacceptable. 

    They say they were made aware of one video last week and the other on Wednesday.

    "They just swept it under the rug," Estime said. "Now that we have our hands on it, we want everyone to see how disgusting it is." 

    Brookline school officials say they are offering support to the student who was targeted and any other students who feel upset by the videos. After identifying the students who made the videos, officials say they plan on taking appropriate actions to make sure there are consequences.

    The students NBC Boston spoke with say they are planning some kind of protests during school hours.

    Get the latest from necn anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android