Authorities are investigating a property owner in Boston after a four-alarm fire tore through his building in the Allston section of the city earlier this week.
A city Inspectional Services Department spokeswoman says the owner of the Myrick Street residence that went up in flames on Wednesday has been cited for running an illegal rooming house.
Investigators discovered that six graduate school students were among the 11 residents displaced by the blaze, which caused an estimated $1 million in damage. The fire was sparked by an electrical short circuit.
In addition, some doors inside the home were secured with padlocks - another violation of city housing rules.
The homeowner has been summoned to appear at a public hearing at City Hall on Thursday to discuss the violations with city officials.