Man Who Threatened Suicide by Cop: "I Just Wanted to Die" - NECN
New Hampshire

New Hampshire

The latest news from around the state

Man Who Threatened Suicide by Cop: "I Just Wanted to Die"

George Rinalducci, president of a NH fish and game club, was arrested for assault in Portsmouth



    George Rinalducci, the president of a New Hampshire fish and game club, was arrested for assault in Portsmouth. (Published Monday, Sept. 29, 2014)

    The president of a New Hampshire fish and game club sets off a massive police response in Portsmouth after threatening suicide by police during a domestic violence investigation.

    George Rinalducci, 71, appeared in Portsmouth District Court Monday morning on charges of violating a protective order and simple assault. NECN has learned that Rinalducci has spent nearly two decades as the president of the Piscatiqua Fish and Game Club in Greenland.

    Portsmouth Police say they got a call for a domestic violence assault Saturday evening, saying Rinalducci had thrown his ex-girlfriend to the ground. When officers got to the scene, Rinalducci was not there. When they made contact with him over the phone, Deputy Chief Corey MacDonald says he refused to surrender and allegedly threatened a confrontation with police.

    With information that Rinalducci is a registered firearms dealer, an avid marksman, and a gun collector, Portsmouth Police called in SWAT to assist other officers on Holly Lane where they found Rinalducci at a friend's house.

    Rinalducci was found unarmed and taken into custody without a struggle.

    Monday, Rinalducci told the court, the only person he was out to get on Saturday night, was himself. Meanwhile, police defended their decision to call all resources to the scene.

    "Well, I just wanted to die," Rinalducci said. "I am not a danger to anybody."

    Meanwhile, MacDonald defended the decision to call available resources to Holly Lane.

    "He made a statement about ending his life, about having a confrontation with police," MacDonald said. "For us, we are going to take the most protective steps we can and that's not a type of call that I am going to send in an officer to knock on the door."

    Officers took several weapons from Rinalducci's second-hand store in Seabrook called, Hawk Shop Exchange. MacDonald makes it clear that Rinalducci isn't being charged for having weapons, but that the seizure is protocol during ongoing domestic violence investigations.

    Police say they will hold onto those firearms until the situation is resolved. The alleged victim was treated and released from the hospital.

    Rinalducci is being held on $5,000 cash bail and due back in court in November.